This blog belongs to...

My photo
♥ i'm unique but normal, attractive but simple, takltative but shy, friendly but fierce! ♥

Friday 20 April 2012

ღ Bharathanatyam ღ

Hey guys and girls! Today I'm going to let you in on a little secret about myself! I'm actually a professional dancer!!

I have been learning dance since I was 5 years old!! According to my family members, I have been showing interest in dance even when I was a toddler! Well it was my mother's dream to be a dancer, but as fate played its games, she didn't get the chance. So, I guess that's why dancing is in my genes! Hehe ^.^

The Slangai worn when dancing
The kind of dancing I learnt is The Indian Traditional Dancing called Bharathanatiyam (Natyam). I love this dance so much because I learn how to tell a story through the expressions and movements! There are mainly 2 major level to achieve, but however there a hundred of types of dances in Natyam. After 4 years of training, I completed my first level of the dance in 2000. The ceremony is called Salangai Pooja.

















Since then up untill now, I have performed in numerous stages,temples, halls and even houses! I continue learning the dance but now I am allowed to do public performances. Every year, during the Navaratri period, I dance in the temple almost everyday for a month or so. It is a holy week in the Tamil calendar, thus as Natyam is actualy the dance of the Indian Gods; it is a practice to have dances representing the Gods during this season.  I have been dacing with my sister, Shevany. Thus, the both of us always do the performances together. 



On other occasions, I dance for semi-classical songs in mostly Indian events. I have done dances such as the Snake dance, The Dance of Lord Shiva, Malayalam Kuchipudi, Kathargali. I have even danced on a mud pot! 

Me (on the left) as Lord Shiva & Shevany(right) as Devi Parvathi
Dancing on the mud-pot
I have yet to learn a lot more of the types of dances. One of which include dancing in a tray. In my opinion, dancing in the tray is among the most interesting dances. The dancer dances with both feet in a tray and even moves around with it! 

Recently, ever since I started college, I have stopped dancing and so I have put on A LOT of weight! I WILL one day start back and then I hope one day I hope I will be able to complete my traininf in Bharathanatyam. In Natyam, upon completing the graduation ceremony known as Arangetram, one is now qualified to be a Master/Guru.

One of my life-long dream is to be a guru and open my own dance academy!

CTA DANCE ACADEMY

So yeah, that's the secret of my passion for dancing! do wish me luck to one day achieve my dream!  

No comments:

Post a Comment